What will you learn from our Blackjack strategy guide?
If you are new to the blackjack game or want to hone your skills, then this guide will equip you with all the rules you need to know to participate in the exciting games and sometimes even help you win big. Our team of experts has compiled the best Blackjack strategy guide for you to check out before you play.
4 important tips before you start
Before you start playing blackjack for real money, here are four important tips to pay attention to. Other than having a solid Blackjack strategy, these things are important to know.
- Learn all blackjack rules, blackjack odds, best blackjack bets, and best blackjack payouts
- Choose your blackjack variant wisely
- Set a betting budget – how much are you prepared to win or lose?
- Don’t forget to set a certain amount of time you spend on the game and gamble responsibly.
Basic Blackjack Strategy
Our Basic Blackjack Strategy will give you more insights in a simple yet informative way.
When playing this game, the ultimate goal is to get the total value of the cards to 21 and not bust. If your card value exceeds 21, the dealer wins, regardless of which hand the dealer holds.
In Blackjack, face cards have a value of 10, while the Aces have a value of 1 or 11, and cards 2 to 10 are worth their face value.
In the traditional game of Blackjack at reputable casinos, each player starts with two cards, and one of the dealer’s cards remains hidden until the end of the game. While this is a basic blackjack strategy, it helps knowing it.
Hit or stand?
Each game has its own terminology. If you want to maximize your win, you should know these terms well so that you don’t have to be confused during the game.
- Hit: Ask the dealer to deal another card.
- Stand: Confirm that you will only keep your existing cards.
In the most basic case, the player (including the dealer) holding the hand closest to or equal to 21 wins. Most Blackjack strategies recommend that players stop with any hand that is 17 or higher.
If your hand is not enough, you can ask the dealer to give you another card. Predicting the dealer’s card, no matter which player is holding the trump card, and other situations all play an important role in your decision-making – that’s Online Blackjack’s most basic strategy.
When to Double Down
Double Down is when a player doubles their bet and usually happens after the player is dealt two cards at the start of the game.
You should only use the Double bet option when you are confident that your hand is worth more than the dealer’s.
Why split pairs?
Split pairs in the game of Blackjack occur when a player’s first two cards have the same value, and they choose to split the cards into two hands, also doubling the original bet.
The best time to choose to split is when you are dealt two Aces, for example, so your chances of beating the dealer are doubled. However, if you do not select “ Split,” each card will have its own value by default – usually 1 and 11.
The soft 17 rule
The Soft 17 Rule is a Blackjack rule that leaves the dealer standing still.
Soft 17 is another way to describe a 17-value Blackjack hand consisting of an Ace, where the Ace counts as 1 or 11.
When to surrender?
The term “ surrender ” describes when you decide to give up your hand so you can keep half of your original bet.
You should consider the Surrender option if the dealer has a higher value hand than you. For example, if the dealer has an ace and your hand total is between 12 and 17, you don’t have an ace.
Advanced Blackjack Strategy
In contrast to the Basic Blackjack Strategy, the Advanced Blackjack Strategy goes deeper and includes tricks like card counting, shuffling strategies, etc. Which Blackjack strategy to use should depend on your expertise and skill level.
What exactly is blackjack card counting, and does it really work?
Blackjack card counting gives the player a slight edge as it involves keeping track of all the cards dealt throughout the game. This allows the player to speculate on which moves will take place and when to make them.
Card counting can help you guess which card will appear next, thus giving you a better chance of beating the dealer.
How to count cards?
Card counting strategy requires players to count continuously and to memorize it. The simplest tactic is to use the Hi-Lo system, which keeps track of the cards by assigning values to them and keeping track of the numbers.
The technique is as follows:
- Cards with values from 2 to 6 count +1
- Cards with values from 7 to 9 count as 0
- 10, Aces and face cards count as -1
A positive count means more high-value cards are left in the deck. A negative count means a lot of low-value cards are left in the deck.
Which blackjack strategy should you choose?
As with other casino games like roulette or baccarat, which Blackjack strategy to choose depends on which strategy you are most comfortable with as well as your budget.
The most popular form of strategy, and the one we recommend to any beginner player, is Basic Blackjack Strategy.
The best blackjack strategy when you’re a new player
We recommend following the basic blackjack strategy outlined above if you are a new casino player in the UAE. Basic blackjack strategy will guide you through the most basic possible hand combinations. These strategies include:
- Minimum bet – start cautiously by betting the minimum. Only increase your bet by a multiplier after winning. Return the minimum bet with each hand lost. By increasing your bet only when you win, you keep control of your stake and almost always end the game with a profit.
- Avoid high bets – stay away from high-stakes games until you are well-versed in Blackjack and have successfully practiced Basic strategies.
- Set Win/Loss Limit – experienced players always start the game with a predetermined budget. Once you have reached the loss limit, end the game. Once you’ve hit your winning limit, withdraw your money and leave the table. If you still feel lucky? Set a new limit and keep playing with this new limit.
Blackjack strategy for pros
Professional players have more experience in the game and basic strategies for a higher chance of winning.
Here are some strategies for blackjack professionals:
- Basic blackjack strategy – is the simplest way for professional and novice players to win. This strategy lets players know when it is best to withdraw, stop, double, or surrender. This gives you an edge over the dealer in the casino.
- Card Counting – is an advanced strategy for experienced players. This strategy helps you keep track of the ratio of high-value cards and low-value cards in the deck.
- Use a staking system – you should only use a staking system if you have a large bank account balance. Some betting systems to try include Martingale, D’Alembert, Reverse Martingale, Paroli, etc.
Strategies that bring the highest victory
- Strategy 1 + 1 = 2 – is a basic mathematical strategy used by Ken Uston, credited with the concepts of card counting and cooperation for playing Blackjack. In the early eighties, Uston and his team won nearly $4.5 million in Blackjack using this strategy.
- Big Bets – help you win bigger. Australian billionaire Kerry Packer has used his fortune to earn more at the Blackjack tables. In 1995, the tycoon put down $250,000 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Forty minutes later, he left with $40 million in winnings.
- Counting Cards – in the early 90s, the MIT Blackjack Team raised $50 to $100 million from US casinos in Atlantic City and Las Vegas.
General beginner mistakes that are easy to avoid
As a beginner to blackjack in the UAE, it is very easy for you to make mistakes due to a lack of experience. However, you can avoid these errors if you proactively recognize them early
Here are some beginner mistakes and how to avoid them:
- Not knowing the rules – this mistake can lead to big losses. You can start by playing a free blackjack game to learn about the variations and rule differences.
- Underestimating the importance of learning basic blackjack strategy before betting with real money. You will find basic blackjack strategy charts online – study them closely to improve your chances of winning.